Southwest Old Time String Band Gathering
What is it?
It’s a gathering of old time musicians (and their friends), to be held in Tucson, Arizona, on March 3-5, 2017 (Friday through Sunday). This will be the first time for this event. If it works, it could be annual thing. Expect lots of jamming, dancing, good food, and of course great weather.
The gathering site is a 16-acre Girl Scout camp. We’ve rented it for a weekend in March when the Girl Scouts are gone. The location includes lots of great tent camping areas, room for RVs, and even a bunk house. For those who prefer less “roughing it,” several motels are located nearby.
It also has modern restrooms, showers, a large outdoor kitchen and eating area, barbecue grills, shady ramadas, fire pits, and even a fish pond.
The address is:
3101 N. Sabino Canyon Rd.
Tucson, AZ 85715
Here’s a zoomable map.
The emphasis is on group jamming, but three events are tentatively scheduled:
- A pot luck dinner on Saturday night
- A dance on Friday night - Claire Zucker calls to Squirrelly Dan and the Cat Mountain Rounders (John and Jerry) for the first hour. Open band after that.
- Another dance on Saturday night - Carolyn Camp and Friends give us the first hour of music. Open band after that. Caller tba.
- Lots of cooking facilities, and ice is available.
- Several restaurants are nearby, within 3-4 miles.
- Two hotels are nearby (Comfort Suites at Sabino Canyon, and Ramada Tucson East)
- Limited electricity is available for charging your electronic devices.
- Tent camping is available anywhere you like. Lots of great sites to choose from.
- Historically, the average high temperature for this time of year is 74°, with a low of 44°. In 2016, however, the actual temperatures were about 10° warmer. Rain during this time of year is unlikely (but it could happen).
- Arrive any time after 10:00 am on Friday, March 3. Leave by 5:00 pm on Sunday, March 5.
- RV campers will be asked to park in a designated area. There are no RV hookups, and generators are not allowed.
- For musicians: acoustic instruments only. No amps. No horns or drumsets. Remember, the focus here is old time string band music (not bluegrass).
- No jamming near the south end of the site (residences are nearby).
- Alcohol is OK, but please be discreet.
- Pick up after yourself. Trash and recycling receptacles are available.
- Sorry, no pets per camp rules
The goal this year is to cover our expenses and attract a good group of people, so we have kept the admission cost as low as possible.
- Full three-day pass: $25 in advance - includes overnight camping ($30 at the gate)
- Day pass: Friday - $10; Saturday - $15 advance ($20 at the gate); Sunday - $10 (does not include overnight camping)
- Family rate - (Couple or family with children) - $40 in advance ($50 at the gate)
- Children (age 15 or younger): free when accompanied by a paying adult
Payment at the gate is cash only (no credit cards or checks).
Click here to download the advanced registration form. Form must be completed, signed and mailed in to confirm registration even if you are paying by PayPal or using a credit card.
Pay with Credit card and Paypal
Note: The facility is equipped to comfortably handle about 200 people, so please register in advance to avoid being disappointed (and save some money).
Click here to download a color poster and help spread the word!
See More Photos!
Background Music by Squirrelly Dan and The Cat Mountain Rounders
Dan Levenson - fiddle; John Walkenbach - guitar; Jerry Weinert - bass
Site © 12-04-2016 Dan Levenson Old Time Music